Fully restored, serviced, certified and upgraded, that's the process here at the MRRHQ Vintage Model Steam Locomotive Works. Early era steam locos, post Civil War to WW1, were not just the workhorses that made it over the passes, and made the Monroe Doctrine come to pass, but were also rolling works of art. Here you will find, representing this era, a massive offering of beautifully preserved 15-50 year old HO Scale model locomotives from the, mostly, bygone great companies that built them and our great model railroading hobby.
With loving care we have preserved and restored these beautiful machines to new, and often better than new, condition
utilizing the following exhaustive process:
- Each Locomotive is COMPLETELY disassembled.
- Plastic Parts are cleaned, blown dry, repaired and touched up or repainted in original factory colors as required.
- Bells, if black plastic, are painted with Brass Metallic Paint.
- Corroded cast parts, if any, are bathed in vinegar, scrubbed, rinsed, blown dry and polished or painted as required.
- Brass parts are polished.
- All old chassis grease and oil is removed with Cleaner/Distillate and the chassis is cleaned, blown dry and repainted with factory original colors as required.
- The chassis and running gear is reassembled and lubricated using modern Teflon Grease, plastic compatible Grease w/PTFE or light machine oil as appropriate.
- NMRA "Hook" Couplers are replaced with Knuckle Couplers as required.
- Open Frame Motors are disassembled, polished, cleaned and lubricated. Can Motors are lubricated.
- The locomotive is reassembled and all functions tested, and adjusted as required, for optimum performance on both our test bench and test track.
- Bridge rectifier controlled directional back-up lighting is added or optional if not an original standard feature.
- Optional historical documents, such as original catalog pages and price sheets, are included if available.
- Locomotive, available documentation and box, original or otherwise, are sealed in a custom made and fitted air tight heavy zip lock bag.
- MRRHQ Certification is now complete.
Nowhere else in the world will you find another company that performs this service nor will you find this large of a selection of fully restored vintage early era scale model steam locomotives all in one place.